Living or studying in Western Australia? 

There are a number of tenancy support services available to tenants in Western Australia.

In any situation, the first step in resolving any problem or complaint is to carefully read the terms of your agreement. It’s always best for you (as the tenant) and your landlord or agent to try to solve any problems between yourselves.

If your tenancy issues can’t be resolved, there are a number of tenancy support services in WA for selected residential tenancy complaints or disputes.

Tenancy WA

Tenancy WA helps people who rent their home to resolve their tenancy problems.

Their role is to advise, support and educate people so they are able to resolve any rental issues and better understand their rights and responsibilities as a tenant. Tenancy WA also looks for long term solutions for renters in WA by getting involved in law and policy reform.

If you rent a private home, live in public housing, live in community housing, are a boarder or a lodger in someone else’s house, or you rent a caravan or a unit in a residential park and you have a tenancy problem – Tenancy WA is there to help you.

Before you call Tenancy WA, please read the fact sheet that relates to your problem. If you don’t know what fact sheet to read, take a look at Common Problems for information on how to deal with many common tenancy issues.

You can reach their advice line on (08) 9221 0088 (Monday to Friday except public holidays). Tenancy WA is a statewide service and it may at times be difficult to get through on the advice line.

WA Department of Commerce

Are you having problems with renting a home in WA? The WA Department of Commerce can show you how to handle disputes, going to court and getting help.

The WA Department of Commerce has information for WA tenants on resolving rental property issues, breaches of tenancy agreement and much more. Check out their website here.

The State Administrative Tribunal

The State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) in Western Australia deals with a broad range of administrative, commercial and personal matters. These matters span human rights, vocational regulation, commercial and civil disputes, and development and resources issues.

The Tribunal is the primary place for the review of decisions made by Government agencies, public officials and local governments. It also makes a wide variety of original decisions.

Go to the State Administrative Tribunal website for more information or to access Tribunal application forms.

You can read about the fees that apply to SAT or when you use some SAT services on the SAT Administrative Tribunal fees page.