Living or studying in Victoria?

There are a number of tenancy support services available to you.

In any situation, the first step in resolving any problem or complaint is to carefully read the terms of your agreement. It’s always best for you (as the tenant) and your landlord or agent to try to solve any problems between yourselves.

If your tenancy issues can’t be resolved, there are a number of tenancy support services in Victoria for selected residential tenancy complaints or disputes.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria provide information and advice to tenants, landlords and property managers about renting rights and responsibilities in a property (includes rooming houses), caravan park and residential park, such as:

Tenants Union of Victoria

The TUV aims to educate tenants about their rights, improve conditions for tenants, improve the status of tenants and represent the collective interests of tenants in law and policy making.

You can reach their Help Line on (03) 9416 2577, send them an email, drop into the office (closed weekends and public holidays) at Ground Floor 55 Johnston Street, Fitzroy VIC or visit the TUV website.

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

VCAT provides a fair, efficient and cost-effective system for resolving disputes. VCAT is deliberately less formal than a court and as a tenant, you are encouraged to represent yourself where possible. VCAT will make decisions according to the facts and law relevant to each case. Some cases may take 15 minutes to resolve, while others may take a day or more. In rare cases, it may take several weeks if there are complex issues involved. Because each dispute is different, VCAT will work out a suitable approach for your case.

VCAT will hear cases and resolve disputes through negotiation, mediation and hearings.

Go to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal website for more information or to access Tribunal application forms.

You can read about the fees that apply to VCAT or when you use some VCAT services on the VIC Civil and Administrative Tribunal fees page.