“When it comes to utility and service charges, how do I determine who is responsible for what if the property has a separate meter?” (Owner, NSW)

We asked MMJ Real Estate Dapto electricity, internet, gas, NBN/phone or Foxtel,” for example.”

“However, any fixed property fees like rates charges (such as council rates, water rates and strata levies) are the owner’s cost and cannot be passed on to the tenant.”

Laura said the water usage component can be in charged to the tenant if the property has been fitted with water saver devices.

You might also like:
Why would I be asked to pay an application fee? 
– How to sell your tenanted rental property
– Who is responsible for pest control, landlords or tenants?

Laura McDiarmid
Laura McDiarmid

Laura McDiarmid is a Property Manager with MMJ Real Estate in Dapto, New South Wales. She is a Licensed Real Estate Agent who holds a Certificate IV in Property Services. Laura also has a Level 3 Certification in InDesign, with a Social Media & Marketing diploma from the Shaw Academy. She worked at a law office for four years and has been in the real estate industry since 2008 in roles spanning Property Officer, Senior Property Manager and Sales and Marketing Coordinator.