more time
Photo: Unsplash/

“What should I do if I need a few extra days to move out of my rental in VIC?” – Tenant, VIC

We asked Jellis Craig & Co Partner/General Manager, Sophie Lyon for her advice.

“If you need additional days to vacate your rental, you need to make the request of your property manager/landlord as soon as possible for a few reasons,” Sophie said.

“The property may have already been let and a late vacate by a departing tenant means that final inspections, or the occupancy of the new tenant, will be affected,” she said.

“This has a huge knock-on effect, so extending may not be possible.”

“There may also be worked planned and putting this work off may incur costs for the owner.”

Have a question you would like to see answered here? Let us know!

“Your rent has also been calculated to your vacate date, so additional rent would need to be worked out and paid immediately, assuming you are able to stay on past your vacate date.”

Sophie said going to your agent or landlord will be met with greater consideration if a tenant has not yet been secured, and if you are agreeable to inspections during this time.

“This way, the re-letting isn’t affected,” she said.

You might also like:
Can I extend my vacate date?
How much notice must I give to renew my lease or vacate?
Is there a set vacate notice period in Queensland?
Understanding a Notice to Vacate

sophie lyon
Sophie Lyon
Partner and General Manager – Property Management at |

As an accomplished property manager with more than 27 years experience, Sophie Lyon brings exceptional knowledge and insight to her role as Partner and General Manager, Property Management at Jellis Craig Boroondara.