Are you renting in Victoria and facing issues with your residential rental provider or real estate agent? Don’t worry; help is available.

You have rights and responsibilities, and understanding them can empower you to address any problems.

Whether it’s unfair treatment or an incorrect notice to vacate, there are avenues for you to seek assistance and get the problem resolved.

I’ve just received a notice to vacate

Don’t panic! This legal notice from your residential rental provider or real estate agent could indicate a breach of your rental agreement, such as being behind on your rent.

But here’s the good news: it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to move out immediately. So take a deep breath, know your rights, and let’s figure this out together.

If you need advice on what to do:

Are you a low-income earner? You may be eligible for support. Check out this page which has support for private renters.

You might also like:
> How do I find my driver’s licence and card number?
> Your go-to guide to renting a property in Melbourne
> Study havens: The ultimate guide to renting in Melbourne’s university suburbs in 2023

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Become a renting expert with Consumer Affairs Victoria. Whether you’re signing a new lease or moving out, they’ve got you covered.

Find all the information you need on renting and handy tools like complaint forms in their comprehensive renting section. Don’t be caught out – arm yourself with knowledge and take control of your renting experience.

Consumer Affairs Victoria also offers:

Tenants Victoria

Get free expert advice on renting in Victoria from Tenants Victoria. Whether you need to know your rights as a tenant, need help dealing with a difficult landlord, or have a question about your rental agreement, Tenants Victoria has you covered.

They offer a range of services, including a renters advice line and email advice, all provided by their team of experienced professionals.

Housing for the Aged Action Group

Get free and confidential advice from Housing for the Aged Action Group (HAAG) to secure affordable and safe housing for older people who rent.

You’ll receive expert guidance on finding the best housing options, dealing with rental agreement problems, and receiving support if you’re struggling to make rent or living in poor conditions.

I need legal and dispute advice

Victoria Legal Aid

Victoria Legal Aid provides free legal advice and services. Some services are available to everyone, while others are only for eligible people.

Victorian Civil and Admistrative Tribunal

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) is here to help you sort out the disputes between you and your landlord. From issues like rent hikes and repairs to getting back your bond, VCAT has got you covered. You can apply to VCAT when you and your landlord can’t agree, and VCAT will hear the matter and make a decision.

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

Are you looking to resolve a dispute? The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria offers a free service to help you sort out issues related to fencing, trees, animals, noise, children, and other neighbourhood disputes. Meet with two independent mediators who will help facilitate discussion and find a solution that everyone can agree on.

Family relationship support

Whether you’re seeking to strengthen family bonds or resolve conflicts, Family Relationships Online has a wealth of resources to guide you through the process. Explore a range of services and supports that may be able to assist you. Also, find your nearest family relationship centre by entering your postcode to easily access advice and information.