“I have leaking taps and mildew under my kitchen sink. I filled out a maintenance request form two months ago, but to date, no repairs have been actioned. Can I end my fixed-term tenancy on this basis without break lease fees? Or is there another way to get this actioned?” Tenant, NT

We asked Ray White Darwin Business Development Manager, Kate Nolan for her advice.

“That is a good question,” Kate said. “My advice is to try and escalate this to your property management company and try and get this resolved via this route first.”

“If you do not have any success, you can issue a ‘Notice by Tenant to Landlord to Remedy Breach of Term of Agreement’ to the landlord, should maintenance not have been conducted within a reasonable time frame.”

Kate said it would not be advisable to end your tenancy on this basis.

Have a question you would like to see answered here? Let us know!

Renting in the Northern Territory? You can download a copy of the Notice by Tenant to Landlord to Remedy Breach of Term of Agreement form here. Use the templates on this page to notify your landlord.

You might also like:
– What is a Notice to Remedy Breach? What do I need to do?
– Can a maintenance repair be a cost to me?
– I have a roof leak and can’t get help. Where to from here?
– Can I stop paying rent until a repair is done?

Kate Nolan
Kate Nolan
Business Development Manager at Ray White Darwin | [email protected]

Kate Nolan was the Business Development Manager for Ray White Darwin in Stuart Park, Northern Territory. She was part of the property management team between 2018 and 2020 before moving to Newry in Northern Ireland, where she now works as a Rentals Manager for McVeigh Property Services. Kate has received numerous awards throughout her career. She was named 2019 REINT Business Development Manager of the Year and received the 2019 REINT Community Service Award.