If an issue with your tenant can’t be resolved, there are many support services in each Australian state which can assist with residential tenancy complaints or disputes.

tenancy disputes
Photo: Pixabay/geralt.

Tenancy disputes in New South Wales

As a landlord in New South Wales, you can use Fair Trading’s residential tenancy and real estate complaint service to resolve selected tenancy, real estate and property complaints or disputes.

An experienced Fair Trading Officer will aim to finalise the complaint through mutual agreement between you and the tenant. If Fair Trading cannot get you both to agree to a resolution, you may lodge a claim with the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

You can find more information about this free service and whether Fair Trading can look into your matter on the Residential tenancy and real estate complaint service page or call this number 13 32 20.

Tenancy disputes in Queensland

If you’re managing a property in Queensland, you can contact the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) and use their free, confidential dispute resolution service. The service is to help property owners and tenants resolve disputes without the need for legal action.

Before applying for dispute resolution always try and negotiate with the other person first.

Participation is voluntary and the RTA cannot compel a person to join the process.

In urgent situations the tenant or property manager/owner can apply directly to QCAT without first lodging a Dispute resolution request with the RTA.

For more information, contact the RTA on 1300 366 311.

Tenancy disputes in Victoria

If you are having problems with your tenant in Victoria, first try to resolve the issue by speaking directly with them about the problem.

If you reach an agreement with your landlord or tenant, put the agreement in writing and have it signed by both parties.

Consumer Affairs Victoria’s free conciliation service can help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants.

Tenancy disputes in Western Australia

If you’re unhappy with the way the tenancy is going in Western Australia, for example the care or maintenance of the property or rent payments and inspections, try to sort out the issue amicably first.

If you still can’t agree, the Residential Tenancies Act 1987 can help to sort things out in a more formal and structured way.

The Act requires written notices to be used between landlords and tenants, particularly if there has been a breach of the tenancy agreement. It’s important to complete all the notice details including name of the tenant, address of the property, date the residential tenancy agreement was signed, and nature of the breach.

Call the Commerce WA Advice Line if you need more information on 1300 304 054.

Tenancy disputes in South Australia

Consumer and Business Services (CBS) in South Australia has a single phone number for all sections. Phone 131 882 for information to help you resolve a tenancy dispute.