Photo: iStock/gpointstudio

Are you studying, training or doing an Australian Apprenticeship? There are several ways for you to access financial assistance.


Centrelink is the Australian Government Agency (AGA) that’s responsible for paying assistance benefits on behalf of a number of government departments. Centrelink offers a range of financial payments to students.

Here’s what’s included:

Youth Allowance

If you’re 24 or younger and a student or Australian apprentice, or 21 or younger and looking for work, Youth Allowance can help. Check the eligibility terms for Youth Allowance here.


Austudy is financial help if you’re 25 or older and studying, or an Australian apprentice. You must meet income test limits to be eligible. Find out more about Austudy here.


ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander apprentices. To get this, you must be in an approved course, Australian Apprenticeship or traineeship and not getting another payment to study or train. Here are the full conditions for ABSTUDY.

What other payments are available for students?

If you’re a student, trainee or Australian Apprentice, you could be eligible for extra financial help. Here’s what’s on offer:

Education Entry Payment

The Education Entry Payment is a once a year payment which is made when you start studying, or if you get certain income support from the Australian Government. Find out how much you can get through the Education Entry Payment.

Pensioner Education Supplement

This is an extra regular payment to help with your study costs if you are receiving certain income support from the Australian Government. Find out who can get the Pensioner Education Supplement.

Student Start-up Loan

This is a voluntary loan you can get up to twice a year if you’re an eligible higher education student. Here’s how the Student Start-up Loan works.

Are you moving to study?

Fares Allowance

Get help with travel costs between your permanent home and your place of tertiary study in Australia. Here’s who can get Fares Allowance.

Relocation Scholarship

The Relocation Scholarship is a once a year payment if you get ABSTUDY or Youth Allowance. You must also need to move to or from a regional or remote area for higher education study. Find out about the study rules and courses for the Relocation Scholarship here.

Do you need help with living costs?

These allowances (above) are typically paid fortnightly during the period of eligibility. As well as income support, Centrelink also provides Rent Assistance. Find out more about Rent Assistance here. is Australia's largest company dedicated to renters and is owned and operated by ASX-listed Limited (RNT:ASX). For over 15 years, has exclusively focused on making renters' lives easier by making it easier to find a property, secure it, move in and pay rent.