Rent Relief Grant payments were increased to $3,000 for eligible residential tenants, under measures announced by the Victorian Government.

The Rent Relief Grant was a one-off payment for residential tenants who reached a rent reduction agreement with their landlord. The grant closed on 31 December 2020.

How did renters get the $3,000 payment?

Once tenants lodged a new agreement with Consumer Affairs Victoria, they could apply for a Rent Relief Grant online through the Victorian Government website.

The Government made the payment directly to landlords. This grant was treated like a rent payment.

Have tenancy questions you want answered? Ask the Community

Who was eligible for the grant in Victoria?

The grant was designed to provide relief for renters in Victoria experiencing financial hardship amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Renters also needed to have a bond registered with the Victorian Tenancies Bond Authority.

To be eligible for the grant, renters must have registered a reduced rental agreement with Consumer Affairs Victoria. Deferral of rent was not considered a rent reduction and did not meet the eligibility criteria.

Applicants must have had a household income of less than $1,903 per week to be eligible.

You might also like:
- COVID-19 rental relief: Protections for Victorian tenants extended

Were renters in share housing eligible?

If you were one of the leaseholders in your home and met the eligibility criteria, you could have qualified for a grant representing your portion of the rent.


    • Hi Clare,
      Looking at the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing website, it seems applications for this grant closed on 16 January 2022. If you are experiencing rental hardship, they suggest you visit the Housing Vic website or Consumer Affairs Victoria website