Unsplash/Anna Sullivan.

“I live at a property where the owner occupies upstairs but doesn’t stay there often. We’re virtually borders living downstairs. The owner has not listed the property as two single residences. The gas and the electricity are in my name, and it has not been turned off upstairs. The owner is now putting her son in upstairs, but currently, all power is in my name. How can I get this changed into two separately listed properties?” (Tenant, NSW)

We asked Managing Director at Murray PropertyMichael Murray, for his advice:

“Under the terms of a standard Residential Tenancy Agreement, the owner is responsible to pay for electricity and gas if the residences are not separately metered,” Michael said.

“It is the owner’s responsibility to arrange for the electricity and gas to be separately metered.”

Michael said you can apply to the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal to be reimbursed for the electricity and gas that you have paid to date.

Have a question you would like to see answered here? Let us know!

You might also like:
Goods left behind: Am I entitled to get them back?
My rental is for sale. What happens with viewings?
Where does my rental bond go once it’s paid? 

Michael Murray
Michael Murray

Michael Murray is the Managing Director at Murray Property Agents in Paddington, New South Wales. He is a respected real estate agent with over 17 years of experience and a track record of achieving leasing and sales results. Michael has been working with the office since 2014. He holds Certificates 3 and 4 in Property Services, a Diploma of Property Services (Real Estate), an Advanced Diploma of Property Services (Valuation), and is a licensed Real Estate Agent.