The Real Estate Institute of South Australia (REISA) has formalised a new pet agreement which intends to protect both tenants with pets and landlords.
After consulting with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) and Shelter SA, the REISA has announced it is moving forward with the belief that allowing tenants to have pets can be ‘positive for all parties.’
What this means for SA tenants
The REISA says the positives here for SA tenants are:
- By owning a pet, tenants can experience improved mental and physical health; and
- The number of unwanted pets in the community will be reduced.
What this means for SA landlords
According to the REISA, the positives for landlords allowing pets include:
- Securing a longer-term tenant with a fast turnaround;
- Having less expenditure for advertising due to how quickly a tenant can be secured; and
- By allowing pets, landlords can also secure a more positive relationship with their tenant due to this acceptance.
You might also like:
– Search for pet-friendly rentals in Sydney
– Search for pet-friendly rentals in Melbourne
– Search for pet-friendly rentals in Brisbane
– Search for pet-friendly rentals in Perth
REISA CEO Greg Troughton said: “While it always should be the landlord’s right to ultimately make the decision about whether pets are allowed or not, it is important that a landlord recognises the many benefits that tenants with pets can offer.”
“The pet agreement reinforces to the landlord that the tenant will care for them accordingly and ultimately be responsible for the pet throughout the tenancy,” Mr Troughton said.
“The introduction of a formally approved REISA pet agreement should go some way in alleviating the reluctance of landlords to ever allow a tenant with a pet into their property.”
In moving towards the push for tenants to own pets, REISA has integrated a pet agreement on the REI Forms Live online platform.
Rent.com.au is Australia's largest company dedicated to renters and is owned and operated by ASX-listed Rent.com.au Limited (RNT:ASX). For over 15 years, Rent.com.au has exclusively focused on making renters' lives easier by making it easier to find a property, secure it, move in and pay rent.