water bill
Photo: Pexels/meirroth.

“When it comes to the water bill, I’m only ever shown the water invoice. Do I have a right to see the full water bill, because the agent won’t show it to me.” – Dan 

Dan, we asked Principal at Ray White South Perth, Lisa Kerr, for her advice on your question:

“Hi Dan, in Western Australia, the water consumption is all a tenant is required to pay.”

“The Residential Tenancy Act clearly states that a tenant is to be provided certain information regarding the account, the whole account is not required to be given.”

Lisa said some agencies will provide a copy of the ‘water consumption’ part of the account, and others will invoice with the required information as per the Residential Tenancy Act (section 49a):
(b) the tenant is given notice in writing of the charge in relation to the public utility service, specifying –
(i) if consumption at the premises is metered – the relevant meter reading, or readings, and the charge per metered unit.

We’ll be posting answers to reader questions every week. If you have a question you think would be interesting to see answered here, let us know!

lisa kerr
Lisa Kerr
Principal at | lisa.kerr@raywhite.com | + posts

Lisa has a passion for customer service and property management having been in the real estate industry for over 15 years.