trouble paying the rent
Photo: Pexels/pixabay.

“I am having trouble paying the rent. What can I do?” – Tenant, NSW

Feature agent: Madeleine Smith, New Client Relations Manager at Raine & Horne Terrigal – Avoca Beach.

See the rental property listings Raine & Horne Terrigal – Avoca Beach currently has listed on

See other posts from Madeleine Smith here.

We asked Raine & Horne Terrigal – Avoca Beach New Client Relations Manager, Madeleine Smith for her insight into your question:

Madeleine said if you are having trouble meeting your rental payments, the first thing you should do is speak to your Landlord or Property Manager.

“Depending on your situation, whether it be a temporary or permanent trouble for you, you may be able to arrange a payment plan, or negotiate break lease terms to find cheaper accommodation,” she said.

“The most important thing is that you communicate and do what you say you will, as everyone has financial troubles from time to time.”

“It is how you handle it that will stick on your record.”

To find the best contact for your relevant state or territory, check out’s Important Numbers page.

madeleine smith
Madeleine Smith

Madeleine is an honest and reliable agent, who knows how to listen and understand her client’s needs to manage fair expectations and deliver good results.