grounds to terminate

“I’m having issues with my neighbours. If I’m forced to find a new rental to avoid future altercations, is this a fair reason to terminate my lease without being penalised by my agent?” 

Property Manager with LJ Hooker Kalamunda & Foothills, Amy Mackenzie offers her insight:

“Unfortunately, terminating a lease agreement after conflict with a neighbour isn’t considered grounds for termination without penalty,” Amy said.

“The tenant is required to submit their intentions in writing to the property manager for them to communicate to the landlord, who may agree to the break lease without financial penalties.”

Have questions? Join the Community today.

“Though in most cases, the landlord will request for the tenant to cover the rent until a new tenant is secured or until the current lease agreement comes to an end, whichever may come first.”

Amy said the tenant might also be asked to cover the cost of re-advertising the property and the unused portion of the letting fee.

“In this case, a tenant should give as much notice as possible of their intentions to break the lease so the property manager and landlord can take all necessary steps to secure a new tenant as soon as possible,” she said.

For information specific to your state or territory, click here.

You might also like:
> What happens if the landlord wants to sell while you’re renting?
> Rental applications – What happens after you apply?
> What references should you include in a rental application?

Amy Mackenzie
Amy Mackenzie
Property Manager at LJ Hooker

Amy Mackenzie is a Property Manager with LJ Hooker Kalamunda and Foothills in Western Australia. She has worked in the real estate industry for five years, beginning her career in reception before moving into a business development role for another four. Today, Amy manages some 70+ properties for the Kalamunda and Foothills branch.


  1. You are entitled to peace & quiet enjoyment of your property & there are certainly grounds to terminate Tenancy Agreements under certain circumstances without penalty. If you find your place uninhabitable or dangerous with regards to this neighbour then seek advice from VCAT.