Living or studying in Queensland? 

There are a number of tenancy support services available to tenants in Queensland.

In any situation, the first step in resolving any problem or complaint is to carefully read the terms of your agreement. It’s always best for you (as the tenant) and your landlord or agent to try to solve any problems between yourselves.

If your tenancy issues can’t be resolved, there are a number of tenancy support services in Queensland for selected residential tenancy complaints or disputes.

Tenants Queensland 

Tenants Queensland (formerly Tenants’ Union of Queensland) was established in 1986 and seeks to represent the concerns of all Queensland tenants  who live in rental accommodation, including caravan park and boarding house residents.

For many years Tenants Queensland has performed an important role for Queensland tenants; providing specialist advice services for tenants, advocating on behalf of tenants, and securing improvements to Queensland’s residential tenancy laws.

Tenants Queensland offers a free statewide advice service to tenants. You can reach them by calling 1300 744 263. Advice hours are between 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday. Extended hours to 7pm Tuesday and Wednesday.

Residential Tenancies Authority

The Residential Tenancies Authority is the Queensland state government statutory authority that helps make renting work for everyone. The RTA provide tenancy information and support, bond management, dispute resolution, investigation, and policy and education services.

You can phone the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1300 366 311 and use the Dispute Resolution Service.

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (or QCAT) decides a range of residential tenancy disputes between tenants, and landlords (lessors) or agents related to rents, bonds, holding deposits, service charges, standard of premises, entry onto the premises, locks and keys, relocation of moveable dwellings, moveable dwelling park rules, tenants’ transfer or sub-letting, termination of tenancy agreements, compensation, exclusion of persons from moveable dwelling parks, tenancy databases and other disputes

You should first determine if your dispute is classed as urgent or non-urgent. If it’s not listed as an urgent dispute type, it will be decided as a non-urgent dispute.

The RTA successfully resolves the majority of disputes through conciliation, as stated in the authority’s annual report. The conciliator will make a written record of any agreements that are reached and these then become part of your tenancy or rooming accommodation agreement.

Go to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal website for more information or to access Tribunal application forms.

You can read about the fees that apply to QCAT or when you use some QCAT services on the QCAT Civil and Administrative Tribunal fees page.