How do I provide proof of financial hardship?

Australia’s current moratorium on evictions is for renters who are unable to pay their rent because of financial distress due to COVID-19.

That being the case, it’s pretty reasonable for a landlord to ask for evidence of a significant decrease in your wages or job loss.

To access COVID-19 relief assistance or grants, you may be asked to provide the following supporting documentation:

  • Centrelink statements
  • Proof of an application for Centrelink benefits, for example, copy of an email or text message from Centrelink
  • Letter from your employer that confirms your reduced income or unemployment
  • Letter from your real estate agent confirming the rent is unable to be repaid
  • Letter from a financial counsellor
Have tenancy questions you want answered? Ask the Community

What would be considered an unreasonable request?

It would be considered unreasonable for your landlord to ask for evidence of savings or spending habits by demanding you give them bank or superannuation statements.

Your landlord should also not provide any financial advice regarding superannuation. There are many issues when considering your superannuation options and you may find it useful to read what the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) has to say about this. You can also refer your landlord to ASIC’s information.