Living or studying in New South Wales?

There are a number of tenancy support services available to you.

In any situation, the first step in resolving any problem or complaint is to carefully read the terms of your agreement. It’s always best for you (as the tenant) and your landlord or agent to try to solve any problems between yourselves.

If your tenancy issues can’t be resolved, there are a number of tenancy support services in New South Wales for selected residential tenancy complaints or disputes.

NSW Fair Trading

New South Wales tenants, landlord and agents are welcome to use this voluntary service.
It may be a convenient alternative to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) hearing your matter.

An experienced Fair Trading Officer will aim to finalise the matter through mutual agreement. If Fair Trading cannot get the parties to agree to a resolution, either party may lodge a claim with NCAT.

Find out more about this free service and the selected matters Fair Trading can help with on the Residential tenancy and real estate complaints page on the Fair Trading website. You can also call the 13 32 20 hotline with your tenancy questions.

Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services

The Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services provide assistance and advocacy to all tenants, particularly social housing tenants or the vulnerable. To find your nearest Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service go to or call 8117 3700.

The NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal

You may decide to lodge an application with the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal if:

  • Fair Trading cannot find a solution mutually agreed to by both parties
  • Your complaint is not covered by matters dealt with by Fair Trading.

The Tribunal is an independent body which hears and decides on applications for orders from tenants and landlords.

Go to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal website for more information or to access Tribunal application forms.

You can read about the fees that apply to the Consumer and Commercial Division of the Tribunal  on the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal fees page. As a full-time student, you may be eligible for a reduced rate.