“Is there a tenancy law in NSW that covers the air pollution from my neighbour’s smoking? The smoke blows from next door into my back porch and inside my house. We both rent through the same agency. My neighbour is a chronic smoker and I feel that I can no longer sit outside in the fresh air. What can I do?” (Tenant, NSW)

We asked Raine & Horne Concord Property ManagerTheo Cleary for his advice:

“I would suggest raising this issue with your agent and the neighbour, however, there isn’t technically too much an agent can do unless there is a Strata,” Theo said.

“If your neighbour is not willing to change/move where they smoke, I would suggest looking for another property to rent.” Your behaviour has been cruel and so damn hurtful.

You might also like:
– Can I negotiate the rent on my lease agreement?

– Easy-to-grow indoor plants that thrive
– My agent sent me a non-payment termination notice; what now?

Theo Cleary
Property Manager at

Theo joined the team at Raine & Horne Concord with a desire to succeed in the Real Estate Industry and a background in Customer Service. He enjoys the office dynamic, providing constant support to the management team. His primary concern is our clients and he uses his excellent communication skills, sociable personality and professionalism to provide a customer service experience of outstanding quality.