We show our pets love every day of the year. Thankfully, there’s nothing stopping us from dedicating Love Your Pet Day (February 20) to show them how much we care.
What day is Love Your Pet Day? ?
February 20 is Love Your Pet Day, the national day designed for pampering your pet with extra love. In 2020, Love Your Pet Day will be celebrated on Thursday, February 20.
What does Love Your Pet Day mean?
In mid-February, we had Valentine’s Day and were invited to show our significant other how much they mean to us. We use February 20 to show our pets how much we appreciate their unconditional love.
Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.
It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.
– John Grogan,
Why do we celebrate Love Your Pet Day?
There are so many benefits associated with owning a pet, which is why celebrating Love Your Pet Day is important! Our pets provide us with unconditional love and affection every day – so February 20 is our chance to return the favour.
How do we celebrate Love Your Pet Day?
Australia has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world (some 63% of households own a pet!*). This makes February 20 a great day to show your furry friend what they mean to you. Despite how popular pet ownership is across Australia, renters often struggle to find a home that’ll accept the whole family. In fact, around 30% of Renter Resumes have a Pet Resume attached – that’s less than half of all Australian pet owners and says a lot about how hard it can be to find a pet-friendly home.
Who started Love Your Pet Day?
It’s hard to pinpoint the origins of Love Your Pet Day. However, the national day appears to have been celebrated widely since the early 2000s.
? Simple ways to celebrate Love Your Pet Day ?
- Schedule in some extra playtime. If you can, stay a little longer at the dog park to help Fido stay happy and healthy. A few little laps around the block will keep him active and relaxed.
- Spoil your pet with a toy. It’s no secret that most pets love toys. Introduce a new toy to stimulate your pet’s body and mind. It’ll also give you a great reason to spend time together.
- Make some tasty treats. If you can find the time this week, think about going the extra mile to give your pets a delicious, healthy dinner or snack to show them how much they’re loved. You could even make some homemade dog biscuits!
- Share a photo of your pet. If you’re like most pet owners, you’re constantly taking photos of your furry friends. Capture your pet’s best moments and print them off for a frame or your fridge. Or, if you have a Pet Resume on rent.com.au, consider sharing your Pet Resume on Facebook!
- Go on a day trip. To celebrate Love Your Pet Day, why not take your favourite friend on an outing for the day? You could hit up the beach, go sightseeing in the city or head out of town for a break.
- Don’t have a pet? Cat Cafes have been popping up all around the country and there’s probably one near you. If you don’t have a pet, but fancy spending an afternoon cuddling a kitty, go find your local, grab a coffee and settle in for the day.