Your mental health is important
Photo: iStock/Hope Connolly

No matter whether you’re moving for the first or the fifth time, renting – and life in general – can occasionally feel tough. Your mental health is important, so here’s where to get help if you need it.

If you start to feel like life’s taking an emotional toll and you don’t know where to turn, don’t be afraid to reach out.

Make sure you’re familiar with community and government organisations available to lend a hand when you need it. These include, but are not limited to:

Kids Helpline

Phone counselling service for kids, but also young adults aged 18 to 25.

Kids Helpline is Australia’s only free, confidential 24/7 online and phone counselling service for young people.

Call 1800 55 1800.


A national charity providing all Australians experiencing emotional distress with access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Lifeline provides all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support.

Call 13 11 14 for 24/7 crisis support.

Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue is focused on supporting people affected by anxiety, depression and suicide.

Call 1300 22 4636 for 24/7 support.

Suicide Call Back Service

Suicide Call Back Service is a nationwide service providing 24/7 telephone and online counselling to people affected by suicide.

The service offers crisis support to anyone in Australia aged 15 years and over.

You may be eligible to receive up to four free telephone counselling sessions. Call 1300 659 467.

Butterfly Foundation’s National Helpline

A free, confidential service that provides information, counselling and treatment referral for people with eating disorders and body image and related issues.

Call 1800 33 4673 or visit the Butterfly Foundation website.

MensLine Australia

A professional telephone and online counselling service offering support to Australian men.

Call 1300 78 99 78 or visit MensLine Australia.

Relationships Australia

Relationships Australia is a leading provider of relationship support services for individuals, families and communities.

Member organisations provide support services across all states and territories.

Call them today on 1300 364 277.

Services Australia – Crisis and special help

Help if you find yourself in severe financial hardship, recovering from a disaster or need special assistance.

Their social workers can provide short-term counselling, and support and refer you to other services.

Call on the same number you use to call Centrelink and ask to speak with a social worker over the phone.

Reach Out

An online mental health service for young people and their parents. Self-help information, a peer-support program and referral tools.

Visit the ReachOut website or call (02) 8029 777

Blue Knot Foundation Helpline

The National Centre of Excellence for Complex Trauma, providing support, education and resources for the families and communities of adult survivors of childhood trauma and abuse.

Call 1300 657 380 or visit the Blue Knot website.

SANE Australia

Provides support to anyone in Australia affected by complex mental health issues, as well as their friends, family members and health professionals.

Call 1800 18 7263 or visit SANE Australia online.

If you or someone you know is in crisis and needs help now, call triple zero (000). You can also call Lifeline on 13 11 24, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


  1. Admiring the time and energy you putt int your website and in depth information you present.

    It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same old rehashed information. Great read!
    I’ve saved your site and I’m inclouding your RSS feeds to my Goopgle