Photo: iStock/praetorianphoto

There’s a common misconception that landlord’s insurance will cover a renter’s possessions in the case of loss or damage, but it’s far from the truth. Landlord’s insurance coverage insures the building, but ultimately, the renter is responsible for insuring themselves and their personal possessions.

Here’s why renters might want to consider taking out Contents Insurance

Landlord insurance doesn’t cover a renter’s contents

The reasoning for this is simple. A renter’s belongings are generally not covered by the landlord’s insurance policy – you need contents insurance for that.

A landlord may have their own contents insurance policy, but renters should be clear on what this does and doesn’t cover.

As a general rule, a landlord’s contents insurance policy will cover items they own and not the personal possessions of the renter.

Renter’s contents insurance

Renters are responsible for covering their possessions – that’s everything from clothing, electrical goods, books, furniture and other valuable items. Contents Insurance is a low cost contents insurance product designed for renters. For an extra premium cover can be purchased for possessions which are temporarily removed from the rental property (no more than 14 days) as long as they are still in Australia.

When the unexpected occurs, Renters may face losing all their items and missing out on compensation. Contents Insurance is a form of contents cover for people living in rental properties.

What will Contents Insurance cover me for?*

Subject to policy terms, conditions exclusions and limits, Contents Insurance provides cover for the following:

  • It protects against loss or damage to your personal possessions from risks like loss, thefts and accidental damage.
  • It covers insured possessions against fire, lightning, explosion, impact damage caused by a motor vehicle accident or theft, while moving between rental properties in Australia.
  • It covers guest’s possessions against unintentional loss or damage while they’re staying with the insured.
  • It even provides financial cover for legal liability

Please note: cover is subject to location restrictions and excludes the Northern Territory. You can contact the insurer, Chubb on 1800 958 123 to see if your area is covered.

Get cover for your possessions

Making sure you have the right level of cover for you is important.  The level of cover you select will be based on the value of your personal belongings. You can choose one of three policy options available, covering your possessions up to the value of $10,000, $25,000 and $50,000.

Ready to get covered?

Getting Contents Insurance is simple. Visit and select your cover plan. Contents Insurance is issued by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020; AFSL 239687) and distributed by (Operations) Pty Ltd (ABN 23 001 642 020; Authorised Representative Number 001261938). Any advice provided is general only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and may not be right for you. Terms, conditions and exclusions apply. Certain benefits are subject to per item sub limits. Please read the Product Disclosure Statement, Key Fact Sheet and Financial Services Guide to consider whether this insurance is suitable for you. If you have any questions about Contents Insurance you can contact Chubb on 1800 958 123.

*Excludes Northern Territory. Premium amounts may change.

You might also like:
Cover your stuff with Contents Insurance for renters
Your landlord’s insurance won’t cover your stuff – here’s why

Find your next rental property today on and get great tips, advice and services. Like the small details? Between Suburb Reviews, WalkScore®, NBN status, commute times and pet-friendliness, we've got everything you need to find your perfect rental.