“What steps must I take to ensure my Property Condition Report is correct?” Owner, WA

Guest post by Consumer Protection WA

Disputes relating to the condition of a property at the end of a tenancy are not uncommon

Mandatory Property Condition Reports (PCRs) were introduced in July 2013 to minimise the number of bond disputes, as accurate incoming and outgoing PCRs provide a solid basis to assess how the property’s condition has changed during the tenancy, allowing for fair wear and tear.

“There still appears to be some confusion about how the PCR process works and in what circumstances PCRs are required,” Consumer Protection said. “Complaints received by Consumer Protection show us that when PCR requirements are not followed, there are issues with disputes at the end of tenancies. These issues could potentially be avoided if there was an accurate PCR in place.”

You might also like:
Rental inspection checklist – tips to organise your home
Rental applications: What happens after you apply?
> Pest control: Who is responsible, landlords or tenants?

When to issue a PCR and to whom

“A lessor is required to prepare a PCR within seven days of the tenant entering into occupation of the premises and to provide two copies of the report to the tenant,” Consumer Protection WA said.

“PCRs can be sent via electronic means if there has been an agreement to do so. The property manager or lessor must sign the PCR. If a tenant takes over from another tenant, you are required to issue an outgoing PCR for the departing tenant and an ingoing PCR for the new tenant.”

Get it right to avoid future hassles

“Complaints show us that if PCRs are not completed or if tenants do not clearly state any areas of dispute on the PCR, there can be disagreements,” Consumer Protection WA said. “This can cost your business valuable time. We encourage you to make the small step of getting your PCRs completed correctly as required, rather than end up resolving a dispute afterwards.”

At the end of the tenancy

A full PCR, using the prescribed content, must be used to create the exiting PCR. Some property managers use a summary to identify the areas of concern; however, this can only be in addition to the standard PCR, not as a substitute for it.

An outgoing PCR is required even if the tenancy was entered into before 1 July 2013 or no ingoing PCR.

Tenants should be given a reasonable opportunity to be present at the final inspection.

Consumer Protection WA
Consumer Protection WA
Government Administration at Consumer Protection | 1300 304 054 | [email protected]

Consumer Protection Western Australia provides advice and information for WA consumers, businesses, landlords and tenants. Consumer Protection is a consumer affairs and fair trading agency that sits within the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety under Commerce WA. Areas of expertise include the Australian Consumer Law, product safety, residential tenancies (renting) and buying and selling homes.