If you live in Australia, there are a number of services available to help you manage rental payments if you currently receive Centrelink payments.

Photo: Pixabay/Pexels.

Rent Assistance

If you pay rent, other than to a state or housing authority, and receive a qualifying Centrelink payment, Rent Assistance can provide you with financial help.

The amount of Rent Assistance you can get depends on how much rent you pay.

The Australian Department of Human Services update Rent Assistance rates on 20 March and 20 September every year, in line with the Consumer Price Index.

Click here for more information on Rent Assistance.

Electronic Verification of Rent (EvoR)

EvoR is a secure, automated process that lets businesses verify and update your rent amount with the Australian Department of Human Services electronically each time there is a change in rent.

EVoR can be used by community or Indigenous housing providers as well as supported accommodation providers including retirement village, nursing home, lifestyle village or hospice style accommodation.

To get started, ask your community housing organisation or supported accommodation provider if they use the EVoR service.

Click here for more information on Electronic Verification of Rent.

Looking to finance your next rental bond? Why not use RentBond? RentBond is a low-cost way to pay your rental bond over time. When you apply for RentBond, we arrange for your bond to be paid in full to your property manager, and you pay it back in 6 or 12 monthly instalments. It’s like a personal loan but the funds go directly to your property manager. Visit www.rent.com.au/rentbond to get started.

The Rent Deduction Scheme

This is a free service that can be arranged with your state or territory housing authority. The Rent Deduction Scheme lets you pay rent through regular deductions from your Centrelink payments.

You need to apply for the Rent Deduction Scheme through your housing authority. They’ll get you to complete a deduction authority form. Once approved, the Australian Department of Human Services will deduct your rent from your Centrelink payment and give this to your housing authority.

Click here for more information on the Rent Deduction Scheme.


Centrepay is a free voluntary bill paying service. Deductions will come from your Centrelink payments and can be used to pay many types of bills, such as rent, child care or electricity.

Centrepay is 100% free to use. You can use Centrepay to pay any business that accepts it. The easiest way to set up deductions is using your Centrelink online account through myGov or Express Plus mobile app.

Click here for more information on Centrepay.


Rent.com.au is Australia's largest company dedicated to renters and is owned and operated by ASX-listed Rent.com.au Limited (RNT:ASX). For over 15 years, Rent.com.au has exclusively focused on making renters' lives easier by making it easier to find a property, secure it, move in and pay rent.