new tenant
Photo: iStock/Squaredpixels.

“I want to break my lease, and I know someone who wants to take it over. What should I do?” Tenant, WA

We asked Hayley Latham, Property Manager & Office Administrator at Harcourts Alliance Real Estate for her advice:

“The person will still need to follow the same procedure as you did when you applied for the property,” Hayley said.

“Forward their contact details to your agency’s office so they can contact them to arrange a suitable time to view the property.”

Hayley said any new applicant for your property will need to view the home with the leasing consultant and fill in an application form.

“Once the application has been received, the agent will process it and put it forward to the owner for their consideration.”

“Once a tenant has been approved, the agent will then be able to discuss finalising your tenancy.”

You might also like:
> Rental applications – What happens after you apply?
> What references should you include in a rental application?
> Can I apply for a rental without viewing it first?

If your landlord or property manager gives you the green light in writing, you can hand your tenancy over to someone else. The big plus here is that the easier you make it to find new tenants, the less money you’ll have to spend compensating the property owner for any lost rent.

There are, of course, state-specific laws around this reassignment, particularly when it comes to updating your tenancy agreement, transferring the bond and the period for which you are liable to pay rent. If in doubt, check your lease agreement or get in touch with your agent for more information.

Where to go if you need extra help

Stuck and can’t come to a mutual agreement? Make use of the tenancy bodies in your state or territory for legal advice.

Hayley Latham
Hayley Latham
Property Manager & Office Administrator at Harcourts Alliance Real Estate | [email protected]

Hayley Latham is a Property Manager & Office Administrator with Harcourts Alliance in Joondalup, Western Australia. An experienced Property Manager with a demonstrated history of working in real estate, Hayley is skilled in working with landlords, tenants, lease administration, apartments and real estate development. Hayley has worked with the Joondalup office since 2018, having moved from the Maylands (Integrity office). She has also worked with Property West Real Estate and RE/MAX Extreme.