Youth homelessness prevention charity, Kids Under Cover, is celebrating the outstanding results of the Cubby House Challenge® 2018. Australia’s best cubbies were auctioned at a special twilight event on 22 March, showcasing the extraordinary designs at the Melbourne International Flower & Garden Show.
Five leading building and architectural firms were shortlisted to build their dream cubby houses, competing for top honours in the Kids Under Cover Cubby House Challenge® for 2018.
These cubby houses were assessed and awarded by an expert judging panel before being auctioned to support Kids Under Cover’s youth homelessness prevention initiatives.
- Australia’s Best Cubby, Most Imaginative and Interactive Cubby and Kid’s Choice: Rocky Road by Becon Constructions in partnership with Watson Young
- Best Architectural Cubby: Heads Up by Buildher Collective in collaboration with Beirin Projects and Bellemo & Cat
- Best Interior Designed Cubby: The Eyrie, designed and constructed by Porter Davis
The other participating builders and architects are:
• Block Party cubby house by NH Architecture and APM Builders in collaboration with The District Docklands.
• The Dream Catcher by Figurehead Construction in collaboration with architects Bayley Ward
The auction of the cubbies was spirited, with Harry Li of iSell Group taking out the award for Top Auctioneer, selling Becon Constructions and Watson Young’s Rocky Road for $20,500.
The remaining cubbies auctioned secured a combined $49,500 for the charity. Buyers Advocate on Channel 9’s The Block Nicole Jacobs donated her time, facilitating bids from buyers who weren’t able to attend the auction in person.
“This year we have been overwhelmed by the efforts of the build and design teams, and also the generous bidders,” said Jo Swift, CEO of Kids Under Cover.
“The funds raised from the auction of the cubbies will be invested into preventing youth homelessness through our Studio and Scholarship programs.”